Nurses are the backbone of healthcare. They work tirelessly, often under difficult circumstances and with little recognition for their efforts. Nurses Week is an opportunity to recognize the contributions that nurses make to society every day by providing compassionate care for patients and families in need.
A history of Nurses Day
According to BSW Health, the history of Nurses Day can be traced back to 1953 when Dorothy Sutherland of the US Department of Health, Education and Welfare sent a proposal to President Eisenhower to proclaim a Nurse Day in October of the following year. The proclamation was never made, but the first National Nurses Week was observed from October 11-16, 1954, marking the 100th anniversary of Florence Nightingale’s mission to Crimea.
In 1974, President Nixon proclaimed National Nurse Week. In 1981, a resolution was initiated by nurses in New Mexico to have May 6 declared National Recognition Day for Nurses. This proposal was promoted by the ANA Board of Directors and in 1982 the United States Congress passed a joint resolution designating May 6 to be National Recognition Day for Nurses.
That March, President Reagan signed a proclamation officially establishing May 6 as the day of recognition. It was later expanded by the ANA Board of Directors in 1990 to a week-long celebration (May 6-12) known as National Nurses Week. Appreciation of nurses globally is also observed on May 12, which was proclaimed International Nurses Day in 1965 by the International Council of Nurses.
Nurse's Week 2023
This year's theme for Nurses Week is "Nurses: The Heart of Health Care." The American Nurses Association (ANA) has been celebrating the contributions of nurses since 1901, when it established National Nurse Week in May. In 1973, ANA moved this celebration to May 12th, which happens to be Florence Nightingale's birthday.
How can you show appreciation for nurses this week? This week and every week, tell them how much you appreciate them!
- A simple "Thank you" goes a long way toward making someone feel appreciated and valued at work--and it doesn't cost anything!
- Show your appreciation by sending thank-you notes or flowers to your favorite nurse(s). You can also organize a group outing where everyone brings something special for their favorite nurse(s) at work--maybe lunch from their favorite restaurant or flowers from home!
- Participate in community events organized by local hospitals or clinics; many will be hosting open houses this week so that patients can learn more about what goes on behind closed doors!
The Benefits of Working Per Diem as a Nurse
Working per diem as a nurse is a great way to gain experience in different settings and roles, all while earning extra money. It's also an opportunity for you to explore new areas of nursing that might be understaffed at your current facility.
If you're considering working per diem as a nurse, GigWorx allows you to work with patients in long-term and post-acute care settings. Long-term care facilities provide residents with 24/7 medical supervision and assistance with activities such as bathing, dressing and feeding themselves; they also offer help with daily living tasks like shopping for groceries or doing laundry onsite.
- Supportive environment - you can connect with other nurses who are working remotely, as well as access resources like training videos, articles, and blogs.
- Ease of use - the GigWorx app is easy to download onto your phone or tablet and doesn't require any special equipment or software. Once you're set up, all that's needed is an Internet connection!
- Flexible Scheduling - You can choose the shifts that fit your schedule best! If there's an event happening in town or if one of your kids has sports practice after school, you can choose shifts week like there would be at most hospitals or clinics where nurses work full-time jobs every day of the week (Monday through Friday).
In honor of Nurse's Week, GigWorx is letting YOU nominate a staff member for May Star Spotlight. Have a great coworker who works hard? Know someone who goes above and beyond? Nominate them, and they'll receive recognition and a $25 gift.